Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Electric Sasha

Our designer we would like to introduce this week is, Sasha Corrodus-Odom. When you read her answers to our questions you'll really get to know her. She is a great addition to our blog-o-designers!

What inspires you?
Movies, art, dance, life,...Just about anything that strikes me at any given moment. Right now I'm being struck by the two forces between Suri and Pumpkin in Memoirs of a Geisha.

What other shows have you designed for? (Or any other information about your design history)
I did a show my Freshman year at Pratt Institute in New York in '01. I did one in New Jersey shortly after. It was nothing fancy. My big show was the Strut show at VCU earlier this year. I learned many lessons that day...

Are you from Richmond? Or how did you come to be in Richmond?
I'm not from Richmond. I'm from Washington, DC and live in Hopewell. I was
stationed at Fort Lee for 3 years and just finished my military service in the Army this year.

When, or how, did you know you wanted to be a designer?
When I was 11. I always drew things because my father is an artist. I never really took an interest in sewing, even though my mother sewed. But it just so happened that one day, I was looking in a fashion catalogue and it all appealed to me. From then on, I've been drawing and making designs and
it became very popular. By my senior year in high school, I knew this was what I was destined to do. I couldn't escape from it.

If you could meet any designer (deceased or not) who would it be?
I would loooove to meet Patricia Field. I went into her store in NY and fell in love. It was so daring and strong. Her garments speak very loudly. That's a good thing.

What types of fabrics do you like to work with?
I like to work with fabrics that have personality, such as textured silks, faded chiffons, metallic denims, and sequinned lace.

What is your favorite garment to design?
I love to make garments with an element of surprise. My favorite was a pair of jeans I made when I was a teen that were shorts with the Jamaican flags painted on the back pockets. Then I had calf pants (they are almost similiar to leg warmers) made from the same material. That garment got a lot of attention.

What style of clothes do you wear?
I call it psychotic style, a style that changes with the mood. Sometimes, I like to bend the rules and wear a skirt with some colored striped socks, some days, I wear soft pieces in an "organic" pallete (greens, blacks, tans). I'm all over the place but it works.

Where is your favorite Richmond spot to go and relax?
I don't live in Richmond so I don't really go there much. I've been to Godfrey's a few times and I
love it there.

Describe yourself in one word.
Electric

No comments: