Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rockin Julien


Photo credit - Scott Elmquist for Belle magazine

Julien Archer is the second designer interviewed in our "meet the designers" series, and many people who read our local fashion magazine Belle would have seen an article on him in the most recent issue. Below are Julien's answers from a recent interview we conducted to learn a little more about one of our designers for the upcoming show!

What inspires you?

"The unnoticed details in nature"

What other shows have you designed for? (Or any other information about your design history)
"I participated in the Appomattox Regional Governor's School annual fashion show my freshman year as a student there and my sophomore year collaborating with a student that attends there, winning the show that year. In November of 2007, I participated in the VMFA Teen Caffeine Cafe Stylin' Show, winning Best Ready to Wear. I was also a participant in Worn Again 3 2007."

Are you from Richmond? Or how did you come to be in Richmond?
"Yes, I am a junior at Trinity Episcopal High School."

When, or how, did you know you wanted to be a designer?
"I have been designing since I was a toddler. I actually still have sketches from when I was 3."

If you could meet any designer (deceased or not) who would it be?
"
Nicholas Ghesquiere from Balenciaga."

What types of fabrics do you like to work with?
"I like to work with various vinyls, heavy knits, really rich fabrics."

What is your favorite garment to design?

"Currently I am into designing really long gowns and tops that resemble the gowns, but that are more wearable."


What style of clothes do you wear?
"I going for an early 1960's era rock image."

Where is your favorite Richmond spot to go and relax?
"I
love stopping in to talk at Heidi Story. I also like just being with my friends wherever."

Describe yourself in one word. "Quirky"

No comments: