Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Mama Brenda

If you are keeping up with our posts you will see that the other day Ono posted a blog about Brenda and Humblebumbleb. Even though her schedule is busy with two newborn twins, she gave us the time to answer our questions and tell us about herself. I have to give her mad props because she's so intriguing.

What inspires you?
"I am inspired by the past. No specific time period or era, but more of an attitude toward women's clothing and accessories. When women really used to care about getting dressed and made up on a daily basis, not just for special occasions. A time without velour sweat-pant suits and flip flops."

What other shows have you designed for? (Or any other information about your design history)
"This is my first fashion show. I have done two indie-craft fairs in the past, Stitch Rock 2007 in Delray Beach, Florida and Indie Craft Experience 2008 in Atlanta, Georgia."

Are you from Richmond? Or how did you come to be in Richmond?
"No, I am from West Palm Beach, Florida. I met Ono at I.C.E. and we talked about the fashion show."

When, or how, did you know you wanted to be a designer?
"I've been into art/crafting/designing since I was a little girl. My mom taught me how to use a sewing machine as well as kept us busy with crafts as kids. I graduated from FAU with a BFA in ceramics. I use a lot of the sculptural, three dimensional techniques I learned in school when designing my hats."

If you could meet any designer (deceased or not) who would it be?
"I've always been a huge Betsy Johnson fan. Her designs are fun and she (from interviews I've seen) seems like a genuinely nice person to talk to. And she doesn't seem like she takes her self too seriously."

What types of fabrics do you like to work with?
"I use mostly 100% recycled plastic felt as well as polyester/wool blends."

What is your favorite garment to design?
"Hats"

What style of clothes do you wear?
"I am a huge thrift store junkie. I have taken a vow to only purchase second hand, vintage, and hand made clothing and am slowly converting my closet to my dream wardrobe. I am a huge fan of pin up style and 50's house wife wear."

Describe yourself in one word.
"Humble"

No comments: