Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mother-Teacher-Designer-Elizabeth

Another designer that will be showing their indie fashion in about three weeks is Elizabeth Allums. She's a designer that has been creating and observing fashions since she was a school girl. I can't wait to see her designs she has created for the show!

What inspires you?
"Color and pattern always inspire me - but mainly I am inspired by my childhood memories - the dresses my mother would make for me - vintage prints and calico - whimsy of little people."

What other shows have you designed for? (Or any other information about your design history)
"Like many school girls, I always imagined I'd be a fashion designer. I still have sketchbooks filled with my designs. Instead, I received my degree in Painting and Printmaking, and later Art Education. Once I became a mother, I really began to return to designing, but for children. My line is The Monkey and Me - I create handcrafted original children's clothing. I sell on Esty and at Indie Craft Fairs. This is The Monkey and Me's 5th year. I am often asked if I create adult wear - so this is a new venture for me. Check out my kids line at www.themonkeyandme.com "

Are you from Richmond? Or how did you come to be in Richmond?
"I am originally from Williamsburg - just a short drive down the road. I was a student at VCU - one of many who never left and made Richmond my home."

When, or how, did you know you wanted to be a designer?
"Like many young girls - as a child - except I had a subscription to W (back when it was in newspaper format). I couldn't wait to get each issue - I cut them up and created scrapbooks from images I'd collect."

If you could meet any designer (deceased or not) who would it be?
"Though Betsy Johnson or Patricia Field would be a blast to work for, I admired Perry Ellis, who had a keen business sense, classic style, and was a VA designer."

What types of fabrics do you like to work with?
"Almost exclusively cotton - I like wash and wear fabrics with fabulous prints."

What is your favorite garment to design?
"Children's clothing - and skirts"

What style of clothes do you wear?
"I am an art teacher by trade so I keep it simple - solid tops and jackets paired with easy slacks or jeans. I like to add a little indie edge by wearing handcrafted jewelry by my favorite Richmond Craft Mafia designers."

Where is your favorite Richmond spot to go and relax?
"I'm partial to a good coffee shop - many of the good ones are gone - like Captain Buzzy's in Church Hill."

Describe yourself in one word.
Tenacious

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore Beth and her clothes!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful interview...Monkey & Me has terrific kids' clothes. Does this mean you are venturing into an adult line?